Well, it’s been a while. I haven’t posted anything on this blog in about 8 months. That isn’t because nothings happened, though. In fact, it’s the exact opposite! Ever since I moved to California it’s just been a whirlwind of stuff happening in my life in such rapid succession I had to stop and make a list of topics before I started writing this. It’s been crazy.
Obviously the biggest change for me has just been the fact that I moved! Going from Texas to California was a huge (and expensive) step in my life, which was subsequently followed by a few other huge (and sometimes also expensive) steps. For starters, my new job that requires me to commute ~75 miles each way to and from work in the Bay Area isn’t the most ideal situation, but I make it work. You do what you’ve gotta do, right? Overall it’s worth it though, as I would much rather commute to work and live 5 minutes way from my woman than the opposite of that.
I guess I’ll do what I’ve discovered is one of my specialties of sorts and instead of just rambling, I’ll make a list about the past 8 months. I’ll mix personal stuff and game writing updates to keep things extra exciting:
- The job is going great. I write scripts for employee communications videos at GuideSpark and get to work with a lot of great people and interact with an extremely diverse group of customers. And I got a raise and promotion after just 5 months – so that’s pretty cool.
- I got to attend my first onsite preview event at a game studio. As a writer for MMORPG, Red 5 invited me to fly down to Los Angeles and check out the pre-launch build of Firefall. I even had a private interview with their CEO. Pretty awesome stuff!
- We got engaged! I finally proposed to her and she said yes – a fitting start to my life in California. She also finished nursing school, passed her board exams, and got a job offer in the Operating Room of a hospital in the area. Not bad, huh?
- I have continued to write the List column at MMORPG, typically handling it 3 out 4 weeks in each month. It’s been a useful source of consistent extra income, coupled with the occasional review and preview for MMORPG as well.
- I am officially accepted to E3 again – for the third year in a row – and have vowed that this time I will finally make sure that I actually get to attend. It’s been a longtime dream and goal of mine, so I need to make it a reality this year!
- On a related and extremely recent note, I’ve started pitching more outlets again. I go through phases, it seems like. I try pitching to all the big sites in the world, get rejected or don’t hear back, get discouraged, then stop trying for a few months. Luckily, this time seems to be paying off (literally and figuratively) a bit more. I’ll post updates on stuff that actually materializes later.
That’s the basis of it all. There are lots of other little things that have happened of course, but if you’re reading this you probably already know, or you don’t care 🙂
One other thing – I would love to hear from you in a comment down below. Let me know what type of stuff you’d be interested in seeing on this blog (other than rare Life Updates and me plugging my own work on other sites.) Any and all feedback is welcomed!